Loading...

Thursday, April 10, 2014

What I Learned From Taking a Walk...

Last year I participated in the National Kidney Foundation 5K walk in support of my mom who has Renal Disease.  My entire family trekked.  It was fun, challenging, and we created some great priceless memories.  That time of year is rolling around again and I want to share what I learned.







  1. You live out your dreams, once you take the limits off.
  2. You will have to prepare.
  3. You will have to see yourself doing it before you even begin.
  4. You will have to know where you are going. 
  5. You will feel the urge to quit before you even begin.
  6. You will start the journey with  a lot of different people.  You have to identify the role they are playing.
    • Some are just spectators. 
    • Some are there to lead the way. 
    • Some are there to cheer you on.
    • Some are there to walk with you
    • Some are there to see if you will finish what you started
    • Some are there for show.
    • Some are there to distract you.
    • Some are there to discourage you.
    • Some are there to mislead you.
    • Some are there to feed you.
    • Some are there to restore you. .
  7. You will have to find a cadence (pace) that works for you.
  8. You can't always follow the person in front of you.  The one who is leading doesn't always know where they are going.  They could just be going on impulse or emotions.  They get lost and have to back track.   
  9. You will get uncomfortable at times because you are doing something new.
  10. You will question why you are doing this.
  11. You will feel out of place.  You will see people who are farther, faster, and healthier than you.  
  12. You will  feel vulnerable because you don't want people to see you when you are weak.
  13. You body and your mind will say you can't, but you have to speak you can and do it.
  14. You will see people drop off right when they are close to the finish line.
  15. You will come across people who believe in you so much that they have reduced their speed to wait for you so you can finish together.  
  16. You will meet different people who are on this journey for various reasons.
  17. You will have to rely on God after you have given all you can.
  18. You will get to a place where you have come to far to turn around. 
  19. You will at times have to tune everyone out and just walk with God.
  20. You will have to stop, refuel, and rest when you feel you are running on empty.
  21. You can become confused when you listen to too many people telling you which way to go.
  22. You will have to look for the signs that was placed by the organizer of the Trek to let you know you are heading in the right direction.  
  23. You will have to refer back to the map when things in front of you don't look clear.
  24. You will see people who want to derail you because they are tired of the journey and they want someone to drop out with.  
  25. At the finish line, there may be no one there to pat you on the back to say well done.
The things I learned from this one walk can be applied to other areas of my life.  I thank God for letting me see through a walk what one will face when you step out in faith.  I may not be able to see the end from where I am beginning, but I know he hold me up with his righteous right hand.  (Psalms 139:10, Psalms 37:24, Isaiah 41:10)  I also know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philipians 4:13)

I WIN!!!!
YOU WIN!!!
WE WIN!!!


Israel Houghton - Nothing is Impossible



No comments:

Post a Comment